Chwiliwch trwy dros 450 o deitlau a 1.2 miliwn o dudalennau
Morriston and the communities of Cae Mawr, Mynydd Gamlwyd, Tirdeunaw, Treboeth, part of Penfilia, Plasmarl, Knapllwyd and Graig Trewyddfa. Probably pre- Norman in origin, the fee became a locus for bitter inter-familial conflict on account of its rich mineral deposits. See Martin, 'Mineral Property Disputes', 155-75. 80 Martin, Thesis, p.259. 81 NLW, Badminton (manorial) MS 2613. 82 NLW, Penllergaer, MS B 28:6. 83 G. T. Clark, Cartae et Alia Munimenta quae ad Dominium de Glamorgancia Pertinent (Cardiff, 1910), IV, 1184. 84 It seems to have been demolished in the early 1820s. 85 NLW, Penllergaer MSS B 19:21; B 19:23. GRO, D/D CL 1/184. D. R. L. Jones, 'Coytrahen: The Families, Estate and Houses', Morgannwg, XXXIV (1990), 54-55. 86 Judging from land tax assessment evidence, the 'reversion' seems to have occurred c. 1804/5, though the reasons are obscure and difficult to comprehend in view of the complex legal proceedings which ensued. By the entail in Griffith Price's will, the former Penllergaer estate lands bequeathed to John Popkin came, after Popkin's death, in trust to JP's sister, Frances Traheme (d.1807) of Castellau. Indeed, the income derived from them seems to have been her chief means of support, though her financial position at the time of the 'reversion' was nonetheless precarious. It seems likely that the entail was broken to raise a trust fund for Frances Traheme and her eleven children, and that John Llewelyn, as trustee, bought the properties. It was therefore not a 'built-in' reversion. See D. R. L. Jones, op.cit., 55. 87 NLW, Penllergaer, MS A 1008. This is a draft agreement dated 19 October 1821 between Morgan Popkin Traheme (1782-1859) of Coytrahen (the son of Frances Traheme) and Lewis Weston Dillwyn, by which Traheme agreed to sell to Dillwyn for £ 8,000 'All his reversions and Inheritance in fee simple expectant on the death of Molly Graves Wall. in the parishes of Llanelly and Llangyfelach. The Llangyfelach properties included Gerdinen Isaf (Parcel Mawr Higher) and Brynrhos, Penquar and Llysniny, all in Penderry Higher. John Wall Esq, was a lieutenant colonel in the South Gloucestershire Militia and in the commission of the peace for the counties of Gloucester and Worcester. He was of The Lodge, sometimes called Tewkesbury Lodge or Tewkesbury Park. He married Molly Price (nee Graves Taylor) on 8 July 1789. Before marrying Griffith Price, her first husband, Molly Graves Taylor was cited in Price's will of 1783 as 'the respected Friend' of his ever dear but departed eldest daughter (Mary). Molly, in fact, died on 6 March 1837 at the house of her son, Revd F. S. Wall, at East Acton, Middlesex. The Tewkesbury Register recorded that 'this amiable lady survived her much respected husband (John Wall) nearly thirty years; the greater part of this period she lived at The Pheasantry, a beautiful residence in Bushey Park, which his late Majesty George the Fourth was graciously pleased to bestow upon her, as a mark of high respect he entertained for Colonel Wall'. 88 Cal. Diary LWD, I, pp.73-5. 89 ibid.,27 September 1819, p.68; 2 September 1817. 90 Dillwyn bought Sketty Hall, in Swansea St Mary's parish, for £ 3,800 in June 1831 (ibid, H, 18 and 23 June 1831, p. 132).