Horkstow property to Charles Anderson Pelham of Brocklesby, Co. Lincoln, later 1st Baron Yarborough, to whom he was related by reason of the fact that his father's sister, Anne (died 1739) was the first wife of an earlier Charles Pelham. From 1759 to 1773 the Gores lived close to the historic inlet of the English Channel, and in the words of the short biography of her father written many years later by Emilie Gore, Southampton from its vicinity to Portsmouth with its dockyards and to Spithead (the ordinary station of the Fleet) afforded him all he could wish for the study of his favourite object which he indefatigably pursued for the space of ten or twelve years, amusing himself with the construction of different vessels after his own models, one of which (the Snail' cutter) remarkable for the elegance of her form and swiftness of her sailing, was well known and admired by the Navy, and Mr. Gore had many times the honour to carry his Majesty's Brothers the Dukes of York, Gloucester and Cumberland in his cutter from Southampton to Spithead, Portsmouth, the Isle of Wight, etc. He generally passed his summers and indeed most of the year in different excursions with the Fleet around the coasts of England, France, the Channel Islands, etc.' The Autumn of 1773 heralded radical changes in the mode of life of the Gore family, but before describing those changes, let us consider some other happenings of what can be called the Southampton period (1759-1773). We have seen that in or soon after 1766, Gore sold his Horkstow patrimony to a Pelham kinsman of Brocklesby Hall, very possibly to enable him to pay to his four sisters their father's legacy of £ 2000 apiece, as well as to meet his wife's desire for a new and warmer environment. It was also early in the 1760s that, as we shall see, Gore bought an estate in Radnorshire-for reasons not at first easy to compre- hend. In the only reference to Charles Gore in his History of Radnorshire, the Revd Jonathan Williams wrote, About the year 1760 one moiety of this great estate (of Abbeycwmhir), including the Manor of Golon, was alienated from the family of Fowler and sold to Charles Gore, esqr., and afterwards purchased by the late John Price, esqr., banker of Penybont in this County The Manor of Golon, which included the capital messuage of Divanner, was a large estate extending over parts of four north Radnor- shire parishes, yet it was but a part (moiety) of that extensive domain which in the course of three centuries had been built up by successive abbots of Cwmhir. After the dissolution of the monasteries in 1536, the lands of the Abbey of Cwmhir were sold by the Crown to various private persons, and by 1565 the Manor of Golon had become the property of a William Fowler, a member of an old family originating in Co. Stafford, but later domiciled in Harnage Grange in the parish of Cound, Shropshire. From the stones of the Abbey ruins were built a Chapel-of-ease to serve the local hamlet and, a mile to the east, a Manor House-in Welsh, Ty-faenor but corrupted into Divanner or Divannor. This chapel and manor house are said to have been built by William Fowler, High Sheriff Co. Radnor in 1695 and High Sheriff Co. Salop in 1712, on whom in 1704 Queen Anne conferred a baronetcy. He was succeeded in 1717 by his son Richard, a Court favourite, who from 1715 until 1722 represented Radnor- shire in the House of Commons. Richard Fowler had in 1706 married Sarah, daughter and heiress of William Sloane, esqr. of Portsmouth and