Cylchgronau Cymru

Chwiliwch trwy dros 450 o deitlau a 1.2 miliwn o dudalennau

that he was in South Wales at the time. It is not correct to say that Strata Marcella, a Cistercean Abbey, was founded from Alba Domus near Alberbury," this was a grandmontane Priory; the Mother House of Strata Marcella was Alba Domus, Whitland, in Carmarthenshire. The name of the priest commemor- ated on the brass in Bettws Church is recorded on it as that of Sir John ap Meredyth of Powys, a former Vicar of the Church, in whose time the tower was built and three bells purchased and many other good deeds done the date given is 1531, during his lifetime. The inscription is in Latin. The Taxation of 1291 was not made to bring more gold into the cardinals' pockets," but for carrying on the Crusades, and the money was granted not to the Roman Curia, but to the English King. The derivation of Meifod is a little mixed: Maes is the word for plain; but Mai' means summer, genial; and a very beautiful abode it is. The bishoprick founded by St. Padarn was not Llanbadarn fawr in Radnorshire," but Llan- badarn near Aberystwith in Cardiganshire. The author of the "Topographical Notices" attached to the "History of Wales" was Richard Llwyd, not Lloyd. When it is said that in the old Town Hall at Llanidloes is preserved the curfew," it is of course the curfew- bell that is intended. Welsh names are naturally a difficulty to an English writer; but in a new edition Mathrafarn" should be written Mathafarn "Cadfach" Cadfarch Uchgarreg Uwchgarreg Twlych Tylwch Penegelli Penygelli; Llywyn Llyssyn Wadyn Wddyn the Powys family name is spelt Powis and Guilsfield should never be printed with a middle d," as Guildsfield." We point out these defects because we wish the text to be as good as the illustrations. D. R T.