ix. SIR JOHN MORRIS-JONES, M.A., LL.D., Professor of Welsh at the University College of North Wales, Bangor, in recognition of distinguished services to Wales", in particular by the production of his Welsh Grammar, his contributions to Celtic Scholarship, and his unswerving devotion to the Eisteddfod, the Language, and the People of his Native Land. Sir John Morris-Jones, the son of Morris Jones, the eldest son of John Morris of Penhafodlas, Llanrug, Carnarvonshire, and of Elizabeth daughter of William Roberts, Tai Newyddion, Llanrug, was born at Trevor, Llandrygarn, Anglesey, on the 17th of October, 1864. He was educated at the Duchess of Kent's and the Board School at Llanfair Pwll Gwyngyll, at Friars School, Bangor, Christ College, Brecon, and at Jesus College, Oxford. He devoted much of his time to reading Welsh at the Bodleian, and was elected to a Meyrick Scholarship to enable him to con- tinue his Celtic studies under Professor Rhys. In 1889 he was elected lecturer in Welsh at the University College, Bangor, and was subsequently appointed Professor. He served on the Anglesey County Governing Body during its whole existence; was co-opted member of the Carnarvon Education Committee, 1903-6; and was member of the Anglesey County Council and Education Committee from 1904 to 1910. On many occasions from 1896 to 1921 he has adjudicated on the Chair at the Welsh National Eisteddfod, and his delivery of the Adjudication on the Awdl is one of the features of the Festival. He has filled the position of Warden of the Guild of Graduates and has served for many years on the Senate of his College and on the Council of the University of Wales. He is a member of the Royal Commission on Ancient Monuments (Wales). His publications include editing the Report of the Ortho- graphical Committee of the Welsh Language Society (1893), Llyvyr