GRAND JURIES, JUSTICES OF THE PEACE, AND QUARTER SESSIONS IN WALES* By the Late Judge IVOR Bowen, K.C., Bencher of Gray's Inn. THE abolition of Grand Juries in 1933 means the closing of a long period in the history of law in our country. They were originally a body of neighbours summoned by some public officer to give, upon oath, a true answer to some question. Probably for about a thousand years they have been prominent in English history, and since 1542 officially recognised in the Courts of Wales. We will deplore the passing from Quarter Sessions and Assizes of that impressive oath taken by the Grand Jurors, which has been heard in the Courts for centuries. It has always been regarded as a perfect expression in solemn and beautiful language of the principles of criminal justice. In Shakespeare's "Twelfth Night," first performed in 1601 at the Middle Temple, there is the well-known reference by Sir Toby Belch when he said and they have been grand jury men since Noah was a sailor. The Grand Jury was the accusing Jury as distinct from the petty or trying Jury. The existence of two juries was unknown on the Continent. It was one of the most important but certainly the most obscure and inexplicable parts of our Law. The exact period when they became separate and distinct cannot be determined. Formerly it was considered necessary that every hundred in the county should be represented on the Grand Jury. Read (in part) before the Honourable Society of Cymmrodorion in the Hall of Gray's Inn, on 13th February, 1934, by Mr. T. E. Morris. Chairman: The Right Hon. LORD ATKIN. (A report of the meeting follows on pp. 98-104.)